Discipling Four Complicated Emotions
Gain the wisdom and skills needed to address the complicated emotions of fear, anger, shame, and grief which can arise in conversations about race and class.
Course Description and Details
Learn how to identify and address the four most common emotions that surface in the work of reconciliation. This highly interactive training equips individual leaders or leadership teams with the pastoral skills needed to disciple others for more constructive engagement around complex topics. Sessions include large and small group discussions, journaling exercises, facilitated case study discussions, scenario practice in breakout groups, and case-in-point learning drawn directly from participants’ experience.
- Emotional health
- Handling conflict
- Strengthen your personal emotional health and wisdom for dealing with complicated emotions
- Learn pastoral strategies for guiding difficult conversations toward healing, understanding, and growth
IN-PERSON: 1 day
4 weeks, 90 min sessions (or 1-day live course)
Group Rates $97+
Week 1: Discipling Through Fear
Learn to differentiate between fear-based reactions and real fears that inhibit our ability to love, to grow, and to respond to the Spirit’s leading.
- Recognize the threats and opportunities that exist around negative emotions
- Analyze your own fear-based reactions
- Identify best and worst practices for responding to expressions of fear
- Practice discipleship skills in real-life situations relating to fear”
Week 2: Discipling Through Anger
Engage what Scripture reveals about anger, and learn to acknowledge and work through anger as you pursue true reconciliation within community.
- Define a biblical view on anger
- Identify actions, words, and topics that trigger your anger
- Learn to discern between helpful and unhelpful ways of responding to anger
- Analyze the potential value of positive expressions of anger in your community
- Practice discipleship skills in real-life situations relating to anger”
Week 3: Discipling Through Shame
Understand why shame manifests in certain ways within yourself and your community and learn healthy ways to deal with shame.
- Identify the differences between shame and guilt
- Discover common ways that shame shows up within communities
- Diagnose the spiritual formation weak points in your community that contribute to shame
- Reflect on personal shame warning signs
- Practice discipleship skills in real-life situations relating to shame “
Week 4: Discipling Through Grief
Learn how to grieve as an individual and as a community in a way that leads to renewal.
- Name personal feelings around your interactions with grief
- Reflect on ways that you and/or your community have experienced grief in the past years
- Discuss whether your community is positioned to grieve with hope
- Identify good and bad tactics when interacting with those who are grieving
- Practice discipleship skills in real-life situations relating to grief “
Join in the journey to explore the context and connections between God's words and our society.
We engaged Arrabon to help our congregation better understand its neighbors, but over time they’ve helped make our entire ministry healthier and more effective.”
Empower your team for transformation
Strengthen your leadership and transform your organization with the help of our team training.
Create lasting cultural change
Discover ways to innovate and create together towards reconciliation.